Friday, February 3, 2012

Our Week: 1/30-2/3

As I prepare for a weekend hockey trip and deal with the fact that my baby boy is turning 12 tomorrow, I'm having a hard time remembering exactly what we did this week. I had to look back in my record book to figure out what we did. My sister came to visit for a few days so the kids got out of some of their normal school for the last couple days.



Science


We continued learning about the elements. We read about the final two groups, lanthanides and actinides. The only experiment we did was using a magnet to make a dollar bill move because of the magnetic ink used in them. We also started back in the RS4K Chemistry book and read about how atoms become molecules and form bonds.

In Colin's Biology class he's taking at the local nature center, they've been learning about frogs. They sent home tadpoles two weeks ago. Half the kids fed them iceberg lettuce and the other half fed them spinach. This week they brought them back to compare the two groups and found the ones fed spinach had gained weight while the others lost weight. They also dissected frogs this week.


Photobucket
 

Photobucket
 



History


In history, we started the week reading about King Philip's War. Then we read about New France and their war with the Iroquois. We learned that Louis XIV saved New France by sending soldiers to help and later sending women to be wives. We also read about William Penn and his holy experiment, which resulted in the beginning of Pennslyvania.



Everything Else


As I wrote in a previous post, we read some books for Groundhog Day and made some treats.


Part of the reason for my sister's visit was that she wanted to take the kids to the circus since they had never been. They had a lot of fun.

Photobucket
 

Photobucket
 

Photobucket
Caleigh's face is because she decided she had a fear of clowns and said her cup was scaring her

Photobucket
 

Photobucket
 

3 comments:

Lisa Boyle said...

Looks like a great week! Your son's class sounds great. My older two are taking a biology dissection lab, as well. The circus looks like so much fun! How nice of your sister to take them.
Hope you have a great weekend!
Many blessings,
Lisa

Unknown said...

Happy 12th!

Phyllis said...

I have enjoyed hearing about your elements study! It sounds like you had a very productive week! It was nice of your sister to take them to the circus. I haven't taken mine yet. A lot of kids feel that clowns are scary. I find them a bit creepy myself! LOL