Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving Study

We spent a couple weeks studying Thanksgiving. They studied the book, Cranberry Thanksgving for a few days. We talked about the New England area, cranberry bogs, and how cranberries are harvested. We used the recipe in the book to make cranberry bread. Colin liked it, but the girls didn't. Later, when Molly saw the cranberry bread on the counter, she said, "Why do we still have that? Caleigh and me don't like it so you should just throw it away."


Then we studied the pilgrims. We read books and did activities about their voyage on the Mayflower, their arrival in the New World, and the Wampanoag Indians. They really liked these books: Tapenum's Day, Samuel Eaton's Day, and Sarah Morton's Day. Each of them told about what a typical day would have been like for the child. Colin and Caleigh drew the Mayflower, Squanto, and pilgrims using Draw Write Now. We made pilgrim puppets. We also made turkeys. I had the kids each put what they were thankful for on the feathers.



Colin wrote family, house, food and his Wii. Caleigh put the whole world, Chad, Colin, Molly, and me, her house, toys, TV, and her bed. Molly told me so I could write it and said family, my sister, my big brother, dad, you- I love you mom, this paper turkey, milk, house, kitchen so we can make something to eat, dolls, paper, toys, eyes, and candy.


 


 

No comments: